Saturday, November 21, 2009

Visual Aids


My Brother suggested that I add an overall map of Ireland to give a sense of scale (or lack thereof). So, I'll start with a map of the whole island. And, yes, it really is an island, not connected to the European continent.


I have added some color to clarify the difference between good and evil. The (good) green arrow points to the approximate location of Sligo.





Some months ago, I began my online search for accommodations in Ireland. After slogging through heaps of travel sites and systematically eliminating the more froo-froo star-system mega-chain mondo-lobby selections to which I have become accustomed in recent years, I started to look at Bed and Breakfast establishments. I found the best deals at: http://www.goireland.com/ . That's where I found the Glach-a-mara Holiday Homes Bed and Breakfast in County Sligo.



The "Glach", as I fondly refer to it, sits on the N15, just 10 miles north of Sligo city. It's obviously very near the Atlantic, but it's unclear to me at this point if you can actually see the ocean from the B&B, but for about $50 a night, who cares?

1 comment:

  1. Ok, we stayed at mostly B&B's and a few hotels. The only way to go is the B&B's for sure. If you stay at the hotels you really miss out on the one on one conversations with the owners or locals. Its so worth it at any price.

    ReplyDelete